so. this is completely not my picture. but it's nice. ain't it.
the picture I wanted to post was of a big fat steak that I cooked this evening. But i ate it and forgot to take a picture.
It was my first steak cooking experience. It was actually three small steaks. I could've eaten only the one of them, but was afraid to repackage the other two. and ya know- meat shrinks when you cook it so it was alright.
I started with butter in the frying pan...BUTTER!!
wait actually that's a lie.
I started by slathering the steaks in chopped garlic, garlic salt and some other herbs.
Then came the butter. and it wasn't enough...so I put more...then I put olive oil because I don't know what the hell I'm doing.
but it all worked out. I cooked them in the pan with oil and butter and didn't leave them on too long. I learned from my pal zack that steak is best medium rare- so that's what I shot for. The middle steak was the best. It was just right- perfectly medium rare. Just a sliver of pink in the middle *they were thin steaks*. the first one I didn't cook long enough and found several pieces that I was terrified of eating, the last piece I cooked too long. but it was all very tasty.
I meant to make oven chips (frech fries) with it, but I was too focused on the meat to do anything else and too hungry when the meat was done.
and you know I'm realizing that what makes eating meat- or steak, lets say- really good is the taste of blood. And I really like tasting the blood- however gross that may seem. It's just a really nice flavor. And it reminds me that something had to die so that I could eat it. And it made me think about the one pound seventy that I paid for those three steaks and how the life of that cow probably wasn't very good. So i have decided, if I am going to eat steak I am going to save up for the free range organic steak. I'm sure Happy cows taste better. And I'd rather eat a cow...if i'm gonna eat meat...that was treated better in it's lifetime. So there it is.
so yay.
I made a friend. Steven. He is actually Gulio's friend. Gulio, my cousin in law who lives and works in london (for the next 7 days..that is..then back to South africa). Last night I went for drinks with Gulio and his friends, where I met Steven. All of the people there were lovely and we had a great night. But steven and I exchanged numbers and we have a job hunting date on tuesday.
so yippy for my new friend.
anyway. that's my steak and new friend story. have to go now.
No comments:
Post a Comment