Thursday, November 24, 2005

this made me go a big one

Oh man did this make my day. I am now a frequent visitor to this site and I found these great pictures from a protest against U.S. military bases in Sofia, Bulgaria. What I was really delighted by was the age range of the protestors. There were small children and the standard disaffected youth, but also pensioners, those at the retirement age or beyond. Especially this fellow below who must have had a very important point to make.


Just makes me smile that every day people get up and get out of bed to upset the status quo, to make protest against something they see as wrong, to work towards something they believe in.

And that this drive doesn't seem *at least in Sofia* to fizzle once middle-age is reached.



just some thoughts.

Oh and today while packing I stumbled across a list of things I believe in, or values that I espouse. I think I'll post them up here for fun.

1. I do not want to sell my time to someone or something of which I am not passionately engaged and morally supportive.
2. I believe opportunity is one of the most important things we, as humans, have.
3. I believe that a significant benefit would arise from a change in perspective (both for myself and others). A perspective in which there is reverence and respect for all beings, in which no hierarchies exsist (at least not in a way that promotes and encourages the expoitation of one being [or a group of beings] for the benefit of another).
4.I believe in Dynamic Equilibrium.
5. I believe I can be better than what I am, a better human, a better being.
6. I believe health is important to my ability to be better.
7. I believe dichotomies and binary thinking are harmful to life.
8. I believe there are various shades of grey*and an infinite pallat of other colors* and no such thing as only black and white.
9. I believe there are multitudes within the truth. :) keskes
10. Contradictions are not always good, not always bad, not ever necessarily exclusive things.
11. I believe there can be joy in perplexity.
12. I believe the ability to commit is a virtue and the ability to challenge and question- also a virtue.
13. I believe one should be critical, but make decisions.
14. I believe one should be generous with themselves and with others.
15. I believe looking at the differences between us in a way that doesn't foster hierarchizement is a valuable endeavor.
16. I believe building, maintaining, and attempting to understand relationships is a virtue.
17. I believe in energy.
18. I belive that I have many things to contribute to the community, the world and myself.

there we go. wasn't that fun. I'm thinking a few of them need further explination, and some of them are in dire need of better wording, but it's alright for a first draft.

1 comment:

MorsaJones said...

how do some of these affect your (and this is in my words, not yours.. but hopefully you understand what i'm talking about..) not being able to handle not knowing or finding out what you believe or know to be incorrect or not what you thought in the first place?

this list made me think of that..

happy thanksgiving.