Outide the abbey they were setting up for some kind of homage to fallen soldiers from the World Wars I think. It was pretty sad to see it...there wasn't actually anyone out there doing anything and just loads of crosses and boxes full of crosses with no one attending them.

this is what most of the plots looked like. The boundaries were up, but not the rest of it. It looked like lots of little graves with boxes on them. Pretty depressing.

one of the nicer crosses, though I think I like this shot mostly for the angle.

What it looked like. Though you can't tell these little plots were on both sides of all the walkways around the Abbey, which means there were a lot of them.

One side had some of the plots done. The smallest crosses had the names of individuals within that specific regiment who had died.

This picture was actually taken once inside the abbey. This is a place we were not supposed to be, but I thought it was very pretty so didn't care about being caught. It was worth it. With all the extraordinarily beautiful things inside the abbey- the outside is just as lovely.

Some of the light through the stained glass was sprinkled on this sarcophagus.

My favorite. he seems very pensive and his eyes look tremendously real. He's from the 16th Century I think.

Taken from the feet of Good Queen Bess. Queen Elizabeth I. I took other pictures of her but they didn't come out. Did I mention that you're not supposed to take pictures in the Abbey. So yes, most of the photo's were stealthily and shakily taken. It should be noted that Mary, Queen of Scots, whom Elizabeth had beheaded has a much larger Sarcophagus than Elizabeth. As James I, Elizabeth's successor was Mary's son. Man those royal folk and the weirdness they do.

this little fellow frightens me. He's one of three men and three other women who line the sarcophagus of some Earl. They are all very sad.
There was one picture that I wish now that I had. It was on the cage which protects Henry VII's Sarcophagus. It was of St. Bartholomew- who was flayed alive. He carried around his own skin in this depiction of him. So it looked like he had a robe or something hanging over his arm, with a head and hands and feet. It disturbed Frog and I so much that we found someone to ask about it. We had many more adventures, but I think i'll have to put them into another post.
yay for big, indoor, old cemetaries. hehe.
No comments:
Post a Comment